What did Ferris Bueller say? “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” I feel like that sometimes when if comes to writing, especially when I look at my blog and guiltily notice is has been almost two weeks since I posted. Yes, I accept any and all beatings. Anyway….
– I still have some submissions out. I did nine through the first quarter, so on track for 36 for the year. Not bad. No acceptances yet and I did get a rejection just yesterday on a piece I really thought was going to make it. I am still confused as to what the publishing world wants. I recently read a professionally published piece that was beautifully written – lyrical, really. Better than anything I’ve written. But there was no story there. It was description only. I had to scratch my head at that.
– Pilgrimage to Skara…. Well, I have been trying to agent it for over a year, so now I am going to proceed on my own. It will take some time, but I am assembling my marketing strategy, getting a cover made, etc. We’ll see what happens. Work on Princess of the North proceeds, though slowly. I still expect to finish before the year is over.
– I am the king of underperforming when it comes to word counts but last month, I went the other way. I wrote a story about an old man and a young girl forming a father-daughter relationship which, at 5700 words, felt like it could have gone another 1500 or so. Long story and one I will probably never place but it was fun to write.
– I finally started a Twitter account (feed on the right side here). Social media is hard for us old guys to grasp. But I picked up some followers I did not recognize right away. Networking isn’t just about shaking hands anymore, is it?
– I watched the premiere season of Daredevil on Netflix this weekend. It was pretty good; if a viewer liked Arrow on the CW, they’d probably like this. It’s similar but bloodier. You know, the major networks better pay attention. Other TV show sources, like Netflix, AMC, CW, and FX are putting out a lot of high-quality programming. ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox are not going to be able survive on the triad of reality TV, sitcoms, and cop/lawyer/hospital shows forever. The demographic that watches that is going to die off or get bored.
– On that note, Avengers: Age of Utron is only a few weeks out. If I were a fangirl, I would squeal with joy. Okay, I’ll squeal anyway.
Anyway, that’s about all for my random ruminations today. Be good, dear friends.