Not much daily about these updates, is there? No, it’s just a random collection of jibber-jabber about my writing, on a semi-regular schedule. But it is an update, and I only do one on any given day, so….
(Muse: That’s weak, man.)
Shut up! Anyway, ….
– I am hip-deep in my Omega Mage rewrite and revision. It’s going well; I am closing in on finishing the 10th of 13 chapters. Along the way, I’ve added about 7500 words to the novel, by way of expansion, expanded dialogue, etc. I changed up one of the fundamental concepts in the novel and I think the story is stronger for it. I have a couple of alpha readers (i.e., Mrs. Axe) chomping at the bit to read this, so I have to get it done. Coming along , coming along.
– I had a rejection this week, kind of an odd one. Waaaay back (three years ago), I submitted a story for a themed anthology. I was initially rejected, with a holdover request for possible use in the second volume with the same theme. I complied and left it alone. Seven months or so ago, I heard back from the editor on the second volume, who asked for some rewrites, most of which were warranted. I complied, sent it back in, and waited. This weekend, I checked. The names/stories for the second volume are up and posted. Mine was not included. I never received a rejection notice on the second rewrite. I hope that was an oversight on the editor’s part, not a blow-off. I’ve been following the editor’s site for a while and I am inclined to believe the former. I tried to take the high road, wrote back and wished the editor well. Still ….
– As I mentioned, I did make a sale earlier this week, at least. That helped balance it. No news as to when the issue is in print, but I will keep checking.
– Last year, I wrote what can only be described as a "fucked-up story" called "The Final Wife." I wrote about it a bit here; it’s intentionally supposed to be make the reader uncomfortable. The other day, I gave it to someone to read. Their only response was, "What’s wrong with you?" Mission accomplished.
– As I ran my mouth with my coworkers this week, I had some ideas percolate up for short story ideas. More specifically, I (we) settled on three different opening lines. Despite my assurances to the boys, I ultimately had to write them down, as I otherwise would have forgotten them. I have finally (finally!) gotten in the habit of writing down my story ideas. No idea how many stories I’ve lost that way, and that got me thinking. I wonder how many stories – including some of potential genius – have been lost by collective humanity just because they didn’t write down the idea. The mind shudders from such a concept. Anyway, I have a good vector on where to go once my revision is done. I have 4-5 ideas I have to get done now, and a few short story revisions. I also have my next book idea lined up. More time … I need more time.