– I am still plugging away at Omega Mage. The first draft is over halfway done. Keeping up momentum has been the biggest challenge; if I get a rut where I can churn out 1-2K words a day, I can keep that pace. I take three days off and it’s like pushing a Ford Explorer uphill. It’s tough to get going again.
– I received a re-write request on a project I’d had in for eighteen months. I was bowled over, as I had half-forgotten about the story and the submission. The editor apologized for the delay and frankly, I was glad just to hear that they wanted a re-write, as I had looked back on the story a few times and wanted to re-work it. Well, this forced my hand, so I revised it. I think it is much better and am going to take another look at it this weekend, before I resubmit it. Cross your fingers.
– I finished a short story about a guy who has an unusual relationship with a piece of art. Nothing sexual, mind you (in this case, it would be bizarre on about six different levels). It’s kinda tongue-in-cheek but I hope the good message leaks through in the end.
– I recently – well, within the last two years – read two of Stephen King’s latest novels: Duma Key and Under the Dome. Reflecting on that yesterday, I had a mini-revelation. Maybe it’s just me but King’s latest work doesn’t seem nearly as innovative or entertaining as his earlier works. That’s disappointing but also got me thinking: is this the ultimate end of all writers? At some point, does their creative spark – after years of erosion – finally break down? Does everyone have a finite number of good stories to tell before they’ve exhausted their capability? Or is this just a case of King having some bad books – or worse, some lazy books? Do we all have that bitter future in store? I think I just made myself sad. 😦
– In my fleeting spare time, I started playing a turn-based strategy computer game called Heroes of Might and Magic V. I’ve been a fan of the series for fifteen years. This is the hardest one of the series yet and I, a veteran computer-gamer (though not as veteran as these guys), am having some real problems beating it. Meh, gotta have some challenges in life.
That’s it, true fans, ’til next time.